Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A long run..



I ran the Annecy marathon on Sunday. I'm not going to go on about how it was the hardest thing i've ever done or how much pain i'm still in now. My rant today is about the amount of men wearing tights. Why? I understand they work in the same way a pair of thermals would. Keeping you warm whilst keeping the blood circulating through your legs. But come on! Put some goddam shorts over them *Note: Shorts over tights = strong look*. I don't need to be running behind the silhouette of your ass for 42k's. Everywhere I looked I saw either the new generation of runners who feel the homo-erotic need to wear painted-on clothing, or perhaps even worse, the old generation who feel the need to wear running shorts that come half-way up there 64 year old ass cheek. Don't you stretch in front of me!! This sort of male sportswear needs to be outlawed immediately. There i'm done.

By the way the race went well-ish. I felt really strong after the first half clocking in 1:53.08. Then hit a wall at about the 27k stage. Up to 37k's it becomes all mental. The pain in the lower half of my body was the worst pain i've ever felt, it really was, and i've seen "Legally Blond the Musical". I didn't even notice the bleeding nipple that had been chaffing for the past 2 hours until after the race. I completed my goal of beating 4hrs and clocked in a impressive first marathon time of 3:58.06. I have to give a shout out to Jay-Z for helping me through the toughest stage of the race with your excellent rhyming skills. Strong work. Also massive shout out to the beautiful town, and their people in Annecy. Good luck with your winter Olympic bid in 2018. Elliot, my training partner, great work on your own marathon PB of 3:50. I'm coming for 'ya.

After the race I chose to celebrate in true bartender style and drink the shit out of some Absinthe mixed with blue Powerade. I recommend drinkingtheshitoutofit highly..


3 comments:

  1. Bleeding nipple!? Yikes!

    How long did you train for? What did you do to train for it? NEVER in my wildest dreams would I see myself do a marathon. God I would love to one, one day though, just to prove to myself I could do something that I thought was impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been a casual jogger for a couple of years. Did 8 weeks of semi-commited training. The furthest id ran was 24k's before the race. Alot of it is mental. I suggest doing it for someone or someting you care about more than anyting in the world.

    ReplyDelete